Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Learning to Listen

Something happened today...
I was reminded that just because what I'm trying to do is good, doesn't mean it's the best thing.  That my plans of seeking to follow Jesus don't always line up with what He is asking or calling me to.   That listening is a skill I need to work on.
Have you been there?  You are just waiting for God to give you the perfect moment to share your testimony, or tell someone just how awesome having a relationship with Jesus truly is.  You are not only willing, but looking for that chance throughout your day.  When you hear it.  That still small voice that says something different from what you have been waiting on.  "Listen to your sister & pray for her."  Say what, now?
It's not out of the norm for me to feel the need to pray for people. I wake up sometimes knowing that I need to pray specifically for people, but not now.  Not in the daylight.  And, not when you are busy trying to find that person who doesn't know Jesus to talk with.
Then I start the argument for why this isn't what I'm supposed to do.  This sister isn't here for that.  She is probably rushing to get things done on a schedule as tight as my own.  Then for the first time after seeing her, I really saw her.  This beautiful woman trying to keep a smile on her face, while carrying a heavy load.
Then it happens.  In the strangest of circumstances that only God could have orchestrated, you are able to be a listening ear.  To speak what seems like nothing to you, but seems like a message from God that she has been waiting on to help encourage her on her journey.  A God Moment.  Her smile goes from forced to lighting up her face and she says, "You're an angel." I chuckle at the thought of anyone seeing me as an angel, but I just tell her that "I'm glad I was here with you today."
We exchanged pleasantries, and I assured her that I would be praying for her.  As I watched her walk away, two thoughts captured my mind.
First, while she was thinking I was her "angel" that God had sent with a message, I realized how absolutely close I came to not speaking that Word to her at all. I'm no angel.  I'm often self-absorbed and consumed by my own plans.  How many times have I missed these moments in the past simply because I was too busy to listen?  Second, God used a lesson for me to encourage my sister.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment